Friday, May 12, 2023

the velvet smoking jacket

1 1/2 oz Mezcal (Del Maguey Vida)
1/2 oz Falernum (Velvet)
1/2 oz Laphroaig 10 Year Scotch
1 dash Orange Bitters (Angostura Orange)

Stir with ice, strain into a cocktail coupe, and garnish with a lemon twist.
Two Fridays ago, I was listening to the Bartender at Large podcast bonus Q&A session with guest Jacob Mentel of Wormwood in San Diego, and he mentioned that they did a Laphroaig-falernum Old Fashioned (2 to 1/2 oz ratio). I began perusing the web for the recipe and instead came across on Kindred Cocktails database The Velvet Smoking Jacket created at the Gander in Manhattan as published in a 2016 Travel & Leisure article. This recipe did have Laphroaig but it was a minor component to mezcal, and I decided to give it ago especially since it reminded me of the Better & Better which utilized a funky rum instead of the whisky. Once prepared, The Velvet Smoking Jacket proffered a lemon, vegetal, and smoke aroma. Next, malt and lime notes on the sip fled into mezcal, wood smoke, lime, and clove flavors on the swallow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey! I am the Jacob from the podcast! Just happened to have this popup on my browser,
First off better and better is an incredible cocktail! Glad you enjoy it as well
Here is the specs to my cocktail from the podcast.
Pyre of Minerva
-2 dash Orange bitters
-3/8 falernum
-3/8 Fernet
-2oz Laphroaig
Big rock Lemon peel
Based on my all time favorite cocktail the Fatherly Advice
-1/2 Falernum
2oz Laphroaig
-Hope you enjoy!