Thursday, May 18, 2023

dirty harry

2 oz Rye Whiskey (Old Overholt 86°)
1/2 oz Sweet Vermouth (Cocchi)
1/4 oz Maraschino (Luxardo)

Stir with ice, strain into an absinthe-rinsed (Kübler) coupe, and garnish with a cherry.

Two Thursdays ago, I reached for my copy of Mr. Boston Bartenders' Guide: 75th Anniversary Edition from 2012 and came across the Dirty Harry that appeared like an Improved Manhattan akin to the Improved Whiskey Cocktail given the accents of Maraschino and absinthe. I was able to track down a little history via a 2008 Alcademics post that it was crafted by H. Joseph Ehrmann for the JW Marriot's bar Level III in San Francisco. After posting the drink on Instagram, Ehrmann explained that he created it at Elixir and put it on the menu as the Hollinger Manhattan Project before it appeared on the JW Marriot menu a year later as the Dirty Harry. He explained, "I changed the name to Dirty Harry for JW Marriott and I guess broader consumption as the original name was to honor my friend Jeff Hollinger, long time barman and co-author of The Art of the Bar." He then elaborated that, "Jeff and I were out drinking one night before the start of San Francisco Cocktail Week 2007, and I woke up with this recipe jotted down on a cocktail napkin in my pocket. I thought Jeff had told it to me, and I went to my bar and made it. When I told him I thought the recipe was great, he said 'I have no idea what you're talking about. I've never heard of that cocktail.' Turns out it's like a Jockey Club but in an absinthe-rinsed glass."
The Dirty Harry (or the Hollinger Manhattan Project) began with an anise and rye aroma with a hint of cherry. Next, grape and malt notes on the sip were chased by rye, nutty cherry, and anise flavors on the swallow.

No comments: