Tuesday, August 15, 2023

dante's requiem

2 oz Rye Whiskey (Old Overholt 86°)
1/2 oz Benedictine
1/2 oz Green Chartreuse
1 bsp Campari (1/8 oz)
2 dash Fernet Branca (20 drops)

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail coupe.
Two Tuesdays ago, I was perusing Kindred Cocktails when I came across Dante's Requiem again. This time, I had a bottle of Green Chartreuse on hand and was able to make it. The recipe was crafted by Seattle bartender Scott Diaz in 2012 as a riff on Ted Kilgore's Purgatory. Moreover, the light touch of Campari with the Green Chartreuse reminded me of the Tailspin, and both the name and medley of liqueurs made me think of Toby Maloney's Eeyore's Requiem. Once prepared, Dante's Requiem met the nose with an herbaceous aroma mostly from the Chartreuse. Next, a caramel-tinged sip recanted rye whiskey, herbal, and herbaceous flavors on the swallow with a bitter orange-menthol finish from the Campari and Fernet.

No comments: