Thursday, August 24, 2023

georgetown tuxedo

2 oz White Rum (Privateer)
3/4 oz Dry Vermouth (Noilly Prat)
1/4 oz Falernum (Velvet)
1/8 oz Maraschino (Luxardo)
1 dash Absinthe (12 drop Copper & Kings)

Stir with ice, strain into a cocktail glass, and garnish with an orange twist.

Two Thursdays ago at work, I had a guest request a Martinez, and I commented that it was one of my favorite Martini variations although I do like the Tuxedo No. 2 a lot. As she gained trust in me, she gave it a go and later declared that it was her new favorite gin drink. After work, I thought about what else could get the Tuxedo No. 2's "Improved treatment" of Maraschino and absinthe, and I wanted to keep the dry vermouth element. I then honed in on the rum-based Georgetown Club from Charles H. Baker Jr.'s South American Gentleman's Companion that I fancied so much that I put on the menu at Loyal Nine. I mashed up the Georgetown Club with the Improved element of the Tuxedo No. 2 from The Savoy Cocktail Book, and dubbed this the Georgetown Tuxedo. I already knew that falernum and Maraschino could play well together from the Crafty & Elusive Elk. While I made this with a beautiful white rum, I could not help but think that a little funk from a touch of rhum agricole or Jamaican white rum here might take the drink to the next level; at Loyal Nine, I served the Georgetown Club with a quarter ounce of rhum agricole.
The Georgetown Tuxedo opened up with orange, cherry, and anise aromas. Next, a semi-crisp white wine sip with a hint of cherry set up rum, clove, cherry, and anise flavors on the swallow.

No comments: