Wednesday, August 23, 2023

mayan concubine

2 oz Reposado Tequila (Cimarron)
3/4 oz Lemon Juice
1/2 oz Apricot Liqueur (Rothman & Winter)
1/2 oz Simple Syrup
1 dash Angostura Bitters

Shake with ice, strain into a cocktail coupe, and garnish with a lemon twist.
Two Wednesdays prior, I was perusing an online flashcard set for the Raised by Wolves bar in San Diego when I spotted the Mayan Concubine. I tracked down the drink to a 2013 James Beard Foundation blog post that included the same recipe and as well as pointing to Erick Castro at Polite Provisions as the creator. Since I had good luck pairing reposado tequila, apricot, citrus, and bitters in the Lupita, I was curious to see Erick's take on it. Once combined, the Mayan Concubine donated a lemon, apricot, and vegetal aroma to the nose. Next, lemon and orchard fruit on the sip bowed down to tequila, apricot, and clove notes on the swallow.

No comments: