Wednesday, November 8, 2023

1807 old fashioned

1 1/2 oz Rye Whiskey (Rittenhouse Bonded) (*)
3/8 oz Becherovka
3/8 oz Amaro Montenegro
2 dash Orange Bitters (Regan's)

Stir with ice, strain into an old fashioned glass with ice, and garnish with an orange twist.
(*) I would recommend a softer rye like Old Overholt 86°.
Two Wednesdays ago, I uncovered the 1807 Old Fashioned in an online flashcard collection of Milk & Honey-related recipes which made sense since the recipe reminded me structurally of the .38 Special. The drink was created by Chris Bostick perhaps from his time at The Varnish in Los Angeles, and the name makes reference to the year that Becherovka was invented. The only instance that I have had Becherovka and Montenegro together was in the Powerful Baritone, so I was curious to see a more stripped down recipe without a third liqueur. Once prepared with Rittenhouse as the rye, the 1807 Old Fashioned greeted the senses with orange oil, clementine, and clove aromas. Next, orange peel notes on the sip set up rye, clove, cinnamon, and cardamom flavors on the swallow with an orange peel finish. Overall, I think this combination would have worked better with a softer rye like Old Overholt 86°; while I love Rittenhouse for most rye cocktails, I felt that it shifted the balance away from the liqueurs too much.

No comments: