Sunday, November 19, 2023

savage detectives

1 oz Fidencio Mezcal (Del Maguey Vida)
1 oz Karlsson's Vodka (Barr Hill Vodka)
1/2 oz Punt e Mes
1/2 oz White Crème de Cacao (Bols)
1/4 oz Luxardo Maraschino
1/8 oz Lemon Juice

Stir with ice and strain into an old fashioned glass with a large ice cube.
Two Sundays ago, I returned to the online flashcard set from the Paper Plane in Atlanta. The recipe that I landed on was the Savage Detective from their April 2014 menu. While I did not have Karlsson's Vodka made from potatoes, I went with the beautiful vodka from Barr Hill made from honey; however, my choice lacked the chocolatey undertones found in the single pass distillation of the recommended brand. Overall, the combination on paper reminded me of the Coney Island given the Punt e Mes and cacao elements. Once prepared, the Savage Detective offered up chocolate and smoke aromas to the nose. Next, a grape-driven sip led into smoky mezcal, bitter herbal, and chocolate cherry flavors on the swallow.

No comments: