Friday, November 3, 2023

borderline

2 oz Bourbon (Evan Williams Bonded)
3/4 oz Punt e Mes
1/2 oz Maple Syrup
1/2 oz Lemon Juice

Shake with ice, strain into a coupe glass, and garnish with an orange twist.
Two Fridays ago, I was searching through Difford's Guide when I came across an interesting Bourbon Sour called the Borderline. The recipe was crafted by James Mellor at Mint Leaf in London circa 2004, and the combination of Punt e Mes and maple syrup made me think of the Burlington at the Citizen here in Boston and the Hendee at Woodsman Tavern in Portland, Oregon. Regardless of whether there was a Madonna song triggered in my head, I set to mixing. In the glass, the Borderline danced to the nose with orange, Bourbon, and maple aromas. Next, maple, lemon, and grape notes on the sip gave way to Bourbon and bitter herbal flavors on the swallow with maple returning on the finish.

No comments: