Tuesday, November 21, 2023

walnut carré

1 1/4 Old Elk Rye Finished in Rum Casks
1 oz Laird's Bonded Apple Brandy
3/4 oz Carpano Antica Sweet Vermouth
1/4 oz Benedictine
1/4 oz Don Ciccio & Figli Walnut Liqueur
1 dash Fee's Black Walnut Bitters

Stir with ice, strain into a coupe, and garnish with orange oils from a twist.
Two Tuesdays ago, I was going to see my co-worker perform stand-up comedy at The Jungle in Somerville, so I stopped into Backbar beforehand. That night, they had an Old Elk-sponsored menu entitled "Anatomy of a Cocktail", and I selected the Vieux Carré riff called the Walnut Carré. The drink's flavors were plotted out by Melinda Maddox of Old Elk and former Backbar bar manager, and the recipe was worked out by bar owner Sam Treadway. Since walnut and Benedictine are a duo that have teamed well in the Storm King, Sentimental Gentleman, and other drinks, I was curious to give this one a try. The one mixed up for me by Peyton Ligon (since I had missed Melinda by an hour) donated an orange, apple, and walnut aroma to the nose. Next, grape and caramel notes on the sip turned to rye, apple, and dark herbal flavors on the swallow.

No comments: