Saturday, November 18, 2023

night of joy

1 oz Bols Genever (Bols Barrel-Aged)
1 oz Punt e Mes
1 oz Amaro Montenegro

Stir with ice and strain into an old fashioned glass (no mention of ice but I added a large cube), and garnish with an orange twist (lemon twist).
Two Saturdays ago, I spotted a set of flashcards for a summer cocktail menu generated by Trevor LeBlanc who was a bartender at Stoddard's here in Boston who created The Welty and Palomino Sling that I have posted here. In the collection were drinks like the Murder of Dutch Schultz that I had there in 2014, and the Night of Joy was reminscent of bartender Tony Iamunno's work at that time, but there was no attribution provided. Overall, the combination read like a Genever for rum version of Erick Castro's Blood of My Enemies, so I was curious to give it a spin especially with how well Genever works with orange flavors. The Night of Joy launched to the senses with a lemon and malty bouquet. Next, grape and clementine notes on the sip fled into malt, orange, and bitter grape flavors on the swallow.

2 comments:

Jered said...

But, is it a negroni?

I like the combination, but I found the vermouth/montenegro combination overwhelmed the malt notes, and left the drink a bit too sweet for my tastes.

frederic said...

It was a touch sweet which I don't remember on the rum version.

Is it a Negroni? Negroni-related in structure and feel but there's no one ingredient found in a Negroni. So Negroni adjacent.