Wednesday, January 31, 2024

diamondback lounge

1 jigger Rye Whiskey (1 1/2 oz Rittenhouse Bonded)
1/2 jigger Applejack (3/4 oz Laird's Bonded)
1/2 jigger Yellow Chartreuse (3/4 oz)

Shake with ice, strain into an old fashioned glass with cracked ice, and decorate with a mint sprig (stir with ice and strain into a coupe).
Two Wednesday ago, I was reminded of the Diamondback Lounge as a drink that I used to make for guests at Loyal Nine and was also on the menu as a pre-chilled and diluted shot at Brick & Mortar. However, I realized that the blog only had the Murray Stenson-approved Green Chartreuse variation, and I wanted to capture the original with Yellow Chartreuse plus using the brands that Boston bars frequently used back in the day. Therefore, I opened up my 1951 edition of Ted Saucier's Bottoms Up and got the recipe as relayed by the Lord Baltimore Hotel in Baltimore, Maryland. I still have yet to have a Diamondback on cracked ice garnished with a mint sprig, so I served it up like I am used to (not to mention that my mint patch is rather done for the season). With Yellow Chartreuse, the Diamondback Lounge showcased an apple, minty, and pine aroma to the nose. Next, apple and honey notes on the sip crawled into rye, pine, apple, herbal, and minty flavors on the swallow.

No comments: