Friday, January 5, 2024

nog tripper

12 Eggs, separated into Whites and Yolks (2 Eggs)
2 oz Sugar (1/3 oz or 2 tsp)
24 oz Evan Williams Bonded Bourbon (4 oz)
9 oz Averna (1 1/2 oz)
6 oz Strega (1 oz)
32 oz Heavy Cream (5 1/3 oz Trader Joe's Vegan Heavy Cream)
32 oz Whole Milk or at least 2% (5 1/3 oz Trader Joe's Oat Milk)

Separate the egg whites and yolks. Beat the egg yolks until thin and then gradually whisk in the sugar until dissolved. Slowly add the spirits to the yolk-sugar mix while whisking. Add the milk and cream and whisk in. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff, then fold into the yolk-dairy-sugar-spirits mixture until well combined. Decant into bottles or a large pitcher and place in the refrigerator until chilled; preparing this a day or two before will work well. Serve with a garnish of freshly grated nutmeg.
For the Holidays, my work asked me to come up with an egg nog recipe for a pre-order menu. Given our restaurant's Italian theme, I wanted to utilize some Italian liqueur and amari in the mix. Chris Hannah's Night Tripper with Strega and Averna came to mind and I crossed the idea sans Peychaud's Bitters with George Washington's Egg Nog for what I dubbed Nog Tripper (though I entitled my recipe submission "The Yarm Family Traditional Italian Egg Nog" to our director of operations, and the pre-sale menu just read "Egg Nog"). Two weeks ago, I decided to scale it down six fold at home and adapted it for my dairy-intolerant wife. In the glass, the Nog Tripper greeted the senses with nutmeg and star anise aromas. Next, a creamy and caramel sip slid into Bourbon, herbal, pine, and anise flavors on the swallow.

No comments: