Monday, January 22, 2024

scarlet love letter

1 oz Scarlet Ibis Rum (Raising Glasses' Guardians Trinidad 8 Year)
1/2 oz La Favorite Ambre Rhum Agricole (JM Blanc)
3/4 oz Campari
3/4 oz Cocchi Sweet Vermouth
2 dash Grapefruit Bitters (Bittermens)
1 dash Orange Bitters (Angostura Orange)

Stir with ice, strain into a Nick & Nora glass, and garnish with grapefruit oil from a twist.
Two Mondays ago, I starting scanning online flashcard sets from the Violet Hour in Chicago when I landed on the Scarlet Love Letter. The drink appeared on the Summer 2021 menu and was described as being a Right Hand riff; the major differences were the inclusion of rhum agricole and swapping the mole bitters for grapefruit and orange. In the glass, the Scarlet Love Letter began with a grapefruit, grassy, and peach-orange bouquet. Next, caramel and grape on the sip folded into grassy and funky rums, dark barrel notes, and bitter orange flavors on the swallow with a grapefruit finish.

4 comments:

Jil Wrinkle said...

These are all the non-white rums I have in stock. Which do you think would be the best substitute for the Scarlet Ibis Rum?

• Plantation original dark (Barbados)
• Plantation OFTD (69%)
• Mount Gay (Barbados)
• Myers's Rum (Jamaica)
• Bacardi Gold or Black (Puerto Rico)
• Tanduay Rum (Philippines)

frederic said...

Maybe equal parts OFTD and Mount Gay.

Jil Wrinkle said...

I tried this tonight. With the OFTD+MtGay, I got equal parts rum and campari, with vermouth a bit too quiet, and the bitters only showing up on the swallow. On the second try, I switched to the regular Plantation, and dialed back the Campari to 1/2 ounce. That reduced the "shoutiness" of the higher-proof rum... plus I felt that the Campari was being amplified too much by the grapefruit/orange bitters. I felt the second drink was more balanced, though I never felt the bitters really played a significant role. (p.s. I envy you your palate and the ability to suss out all of those vegetal and spice highlights in a cocktail. I've never had that ability, but I'll keep tasting and hoping to catch the details like you do one day.)

frederic said...

I did it by proof to approximate the ABV of Scarlet Ibis, but I guess that I didn't take into account the extra oomph that OFTD brings to the party. Trinidad rum like Scarlet Ibis is column still rum and OFTD has a very flavorful pot rum component. Maybe 3 parts MG to 1 part OFTD or just all MG, but it sounds like you did something close to the latter with Plantation Barbados.