Wednesday, January 17, 2024

new victoria

2/3 Rye Whiskey (2 oz Rittenhouse Bonded)
1/6 Calvados (1/2 oz Morin Selection)
1/6 Sweet Passion Fruit Juice (1/4 oz Passion Fruit Syrup)
3 dash Crème de Banane (1/4 oz Tempus Fugit)

Shake all but the banana liqueur with ice, strain into a glass, and garnish with the crème de banane (I stirred all the ingredients with ice and strained into an old fashioned glass with a large ice cube).
Two Wednesday ago, I opened up the 1937 Café Royal Cocktail Book and spotted the New Victoria by J. Stephens. Interpretted as an Old Fashioned, it was reminscent of Death & Co. Old Fashioned riffs 70 years before it opened; however, the only drink where passion fruit and crème de banane both appear on the blog are the Freak C'est Chic at Brick & Mortar and Jason Alexander's Commando Life. In the glass, the New Victoria proffered rye, apple, caramel, and tropical aromas to the nose. Next, caramel and apple notes on the sip sailed into rye, caramelized banana, and passion fruit flavors on the swallow.

2 comments:

Martin Clark said...

Very interesting. I may have overdone the banana and passion fruit, because mine was quite fruity and sweet, although the rye was still prominent. More for after dinner than before.

Jil Wrinkle said...

I tried this four different ways. Since I don't have 100-proof rye, I tried it with 101-proof bourbon and 90-proof rye, and I tried each of those with either Crème de Banane or Banane du Brésil. My personal preference was the 101-proof bourbon with the Crème de Banane.