Friday, January 26, 2024

lobo saldado

1 oz Forteleza Blanco Tequila (Olmeca Altos)
1 oz Park Cognac (Du Peyrat Selection)
1/2 oz Benedictine
1/4 oz Maple Syrup
2 dash Angostura Bitters

Stir with ice, strain into a salt-rimmed coupe, and garnish with a lemon twist.
Two Fridays ago, I was perusing online recipe flashcards from Lion's Share in San Diego when I came across the Lobo Saldado as a split base Old Fashioned of sorts. I was able to confirm the drink on a 2016 menu via Yelp, and the combination of tequila and maple reminded me of the Illuminations and Debbie Don't and I later used it in the Maple Sugar Moon. Moreover, the maple-Benedictine duo was one that had great effect in the Expense Account, Hazard, and Fort Washington Flip, so I was even more curious to give this recipe a try. In the glass, the Lobo Saldado donated a lemon, caramel, and vegetal aroma to the nose. Next, caramel on the sip transitioned into tequila, Cognac, maple, and herbal flavors on the swallow with a clove and allspice finish. Overall, the salt rim here was not my thing, so perhaps utilizing a half rim might provide options.

No comments: