Sunday, May 19, 2024

the manticore

2 oz Beefeater Gin
1/4 oz Velvet Falernum
1 tsp Giffard Menthe Pastille (Tempus Fugit Crème de Menthe)
1 tsp Cinnamon Syrup
1 1/2 dash Peychaud's Bitters

Stir with ice, strain into a double old fashioned glass with a large ice cube, and garnish with lemon oil from a twist.
Two Sundays ago, I reached for Death & Co.'s Welcome Home book, and there I spied the Manticore by Scott Teague circa 2014. The concept of a spiced and minty gin Old Fashioned of sorts with the only other gin Old Fashioned popping into my head being Phil Ward's Elder Fashion made me curious enough to mix one up for myself. Once prepared, the Manticore welcomed the nose with lemon aromas from the twist plus hint of mint and cinnamon. Next, a semi-sweet sip revealed pine, mint, and cinnamon flavors on the swallow with an anise finish.

No comments: