Sunday, July 29, 2018

low tai'd

2 oz Dry Vermouth (Noilly Prat)
1/8 oz Absinthe (Butterfly)
1/2 oz Orgeat
1/2 oz Orange Liqueur (Pierre Ferrand Dry Curaçao)
1/2 oz Lime Juice
6 leaf Mint

Shake with ice, strain into a double old fashioned glass, fill with crushed ice, and garnish with a mint sprig (mint sprig trio in a lime wheel).

After a long bar shift two Sundays ago, I knew that I needed a good night of sleep so I began plotting out a low ABV heat-busting refresher to end my evening. After having success with the dry vermouth Mojito that I dubbed the Low Heat-O, I wondered if dry vermouth would fill in for the rums in the classic Mai Tai. To bolster the dry vermouth, I included the barspoon of absinthe and the pinch of mint leaves that worked so well in the Low Heat-O. And as I walked home, I came up with the name Low Tai'd (Low Tide) for this shim Tiki libation.
The Low Tai'd welcomed the senses with a mint nose along with hints of lime and anise. Next, a creamy lime sip fell into orange, minty, and anise flavors on the swallow.

No comments: