Thursday, July 26, 2018

queen anne's revenge

1 1/2 oz La Garrocha Amontillado Sherry
3/4 oz Orange Juice
3/4 oz Lemon Juice
1/2 oz Giffard Apricot Liqueur
1/2 oz Ginger Syrup
1 dash Angostura Bitters

Shake with ice, strain into a double old fashioned glass, fill with crushed ice, and garnish with a dried lemon wheel.

Two Thursdays ago, I had just picked up my box delivered from CocktailCourier of my Queen Anne's Revenge that I had crafted for their call for new recipes. I based my low ABV Tiki on the Blackbeard's Ghost and substituted sherry for the two rums, swapped ginger syrup for the falernum, and changed around a few of the proportions. The combination impressed the judges enough that they selected it to be one of their new offerings -- view the drink's page here (use code "fredericyarm" to score 20% off for a few more weeks). I described the cocktail as, "An aperitif-Tiki riff on the Blackbeard's Ghost named after Blackbeard's most famous pirate frigate."
The Queen Anne's Revenge put forth an apricot and nutty grape nose with hints of ginger coming through as well. Next, orange, lemon, and grape mingled on the sip, and the swallow displayed the elegance of nutty grape melding into apricot along with growing ginger spice on the finish.

No comments: