Monday, July 23, 2018

scorpion ward

1 1/2 oz Bourbon (such as Four Roses)
1 1/2 oz Puerto Rican Rum (such as Don Q Añejo)
1/4 oz Brandy (such as a VS Cognac)
1 1/2 oz Orange Juice
1 oz Lemon Juice
3/4 oz Grenadine
3/4 oz Orgeat

Whip shake with a few ice cubes, pour into a Tiki bowl, fill with crushed ice, and garnish with moderate Tiki intent.
Two Mondays ago, I spotted a classic Scorpion Bowl recipe and noticed that it and the Ward 8 both had the same citrus component of orange and lemon juices. Therefore, I pondered what would happen if I mashed them together keeping with the Scorpion Bowl's Tiki style. Putting rum and American whiskey together did not fail me in the Fiji Mermaid, so I gave this concept a whirl. Once prepared, the mashup I dubbed the Scorpion Ward gave forth orange, berry, and earthy nut aromas. Next, a creamy orange and lemon sip gave way to Bourbon, rum, pomegranate, and nutty flavors with a lemony finish. Here, the whiskey's barrel notes donated a touch of astringency on the swallow which is perhaps the problem I noted in this Ward 8 variation post due to its interactions with the orange juice; my hope that the rum and orgeat would mitigate this effect was only partially correct.

No comments: