Thursday, October 18, 2007

:: psa ::

Marty's Liquor in Newton has Plymouth gin on sale for $15/bottle.

They also have Creme de Violette on the shelf -- and all the other Haus Alpenz offerings in stock, too. A fabulous selection all around, actually. We were pleasantly impressed.

I was inspired to pick up a bottle of Austrian cream liqueur (the cream liqueur of my people!), and Husband just had to try the Austrian stone pine liqueur... I felt pretty on-the-pulse when I saw that Chuck Taggart had blogged about this same stuff right about the same time I was purchasing it! Husband invented a cocktail that used the pine and it added a really interesting, refreshing note -- I think it'll be great for summer. Once he comes up with a name for it, I'll post his recipe.

3 comments:

frederic said...

Andrea went the day you told me about the Marty's source. She made it out of there with two Creme de Violet (only one for us), a Batavia Arrack (unopened but we did have a Swedish Punch drink made with it at Deep Ellum), and some mint syrup.

I know that everyone is very big on Plymouth gin, but I just don't get the whole movement for smooth gins that approach vodka with their cleanliness. I think my next gin purchase will be regular Bombay (not saffire) again since it has a decent botanical flair. Some drinks do work better with Plymouth though.

Unknown said...

I haven't had enough experience with different gins to know for sure what I like (pretty sure I'm not into the Tanqueray that every mediocre bar seems to stock at least)...

Plymouth seems to be a good all-around gin from what I've gathered. And... it was on sale! :D

TimothyB said...

For me, Plymouth gin is great as a mixer, but then I'm not a serious gin drinker. I think the thrust has been towards mellower gins because the American palate has a hard time with complex gins.

For myself, I just like how smooth and mildly juniper-ery Plymouth tastes. I think it makes a great Old Tyme Recipe Martini. (sweet vermouth + orange bitters.)