Thursday, October 11, 2007

brooklyn

1 1/2oz rye whiskey (or Bourbon)
1/2oz sweet vermouth
1 dash Amer Picon
1 dash Maraschino

Stir with ice, serve in cocktail glass. Source: Robert Hess

Frederic had mentioned that he was a fan of this drink, I've been meaning to consume more whiskey in general, and I came home to this after driving Husband to Logan to catch an early flight. That there is my workroom. Somehow the photograph does not capture the sheer amount of reading material one needs to wade through to get to my workspace. I don't know if the top bookshelf was a disaster waiting to happen, if there was cat involvement, or what... but it came down and took the lower shelf with it and now my floor is full of books. I was considering a nap when I came across the scene (aside from waking up so early, I'd only had five hours' sleep, maybe) but I was so annoyed when I saw this this I couldn't do it. Mind, I was too annoyed to clean up the damage either. Grr.

So yes, this drink? Is totally doing the trick.

1 comment:

frederic said...

Yes, indeed. I made one last night as a matter of fact.

I've made them two ways:

Last night, I used the recipe from Ted Haigh's Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails which was 2 oz rye, 3/4 oz dry Vermouth, 2 tsp (1/3 oz) Amer Picon, 2 tsp (1/3 oz) marachino liqueur.

The other one, the one I have listed in my journal (no clue where I got it from) was 1 1/2 oz rye, 1/2 oz dry Vermouth, 1/4 oz Amer Picon, 1/4 oz marachino liqueur.

A dash of each might be too little but I'll let your taste buds decide.