1 oz Mezcal (Convite)
1 oz Ancho Reyes Chile Liqueur
3/4 oz Lime
1/2 oz Orange Liqueur (Pierre Ferrand Dry Curaçao)
1/2 oz Orgeat
Whip shake with crushed ice, pour into a double old fashioned glass, top with crushed ice, and garnish with a smoldering cinnamon stick. Optional garnish: include a spend half lime shell or perhaps a mint sprig to make the drink's appearance less stark.

Two Sundays ago was National Mai Tai Day, and I decided to enact an idea that I had earlier in the week that I dubbed the Codex Mendoza. I was inspired by my mezcal-chili pepper liqueur
Aztec Death Whistle and, of course, the Mai Tai independently of the impending holiday. The name came about as I delved into the use of chili pepper smoke by the Aztecs as described in said Spanish source. The smoke was utilized in everything from behavioral modification for surly children in small amounts (pictured below) to dispatching European visitors by trapping them and suffocating them with large amounts. Once assembled, the Codex Mendoza showcased acrid cinnamon smoke over vegetal chili pepper aromas. Next, a creamy lime and hint of orange on the sip succumbed to smoky mezcal, chili pepper, orange, and almond flavors on the swallow with smoke and spice on the finish.
No comments:
Post a Comment