Thursday, September 3, 2026

davinci

1 1/2 oz Gin (Tanqueray)
1/2 oz Campari
1/2 oz Sweet Vermouth (Alessio)
1/2 oz Amaro Sfumato

Stir with ice, strain into an old fasioned glass with ice, and garnish with an orange twist.
Two Thursdays ago, I began perusing The Bartender's Choice Volume 3 app when I spotted the DaVinci crafted in 2023 by Roger Scandela at Manhattan's Attaboy. In the structure of spirit, Campari, Sfumato, and vermouth drinks, the Mean Old Man with Scotch stands out in my head, and I did a similar drink but with port called the Preceptor. Also in the ballpark is Cure's Ghost of My Life with gin, Campari, and Zucca (another rabarbaro like Sfumato) but no vermouth. Once mixed, the DaVinci gave forth a fresh orange aroma over Campari's orange and Sfumato's herbal and roast. Next, grape and roast notes on the sip flowed into gin, bitter orange, smoky, and earthy herbal flavors on the swallow.

No comments: