2 oz Privateer Silver Rum (Privateer Tres Aromatique)
3/4 oz Grapefruit Juice
1/2 oz Lime Juice
1/2 oz St. Elder Elderflower Liqueur
1/4 oz Luxardo Maraschino
Shake with ice and strain into a coupe glass.

For the penultimate grapefruit drink of this series, I opted for the Montparnasse from Russell House Tavern from their Winter 2015 menu that I sourced from recipe files from when I worked there (it was on the final menu before I left for Loyal Nine across town). Ernest Hemingway spent time in that part of Paris with the artists and writers during Prohibition, so it is fitting for a
Hemingway Daiquiri variation. I wrote a little about the ex-pat scene in Montparnasse in my book review of
This Must Be the Place by bartender Jimmie Charters, and it seemed to have a lively bar scene back then. Unlike the Hemingway's Ruin that added cinnamon, the Montparnasse opted for elderflower, and that pairing of Maraschino and elderflower reminded me of Brick & Mortar's
Time Traveler and the Franklin's
French Laundry. In the glass, the Montparnasse offered up floral and nutty cherry aromas. Next, lime, grapefruit, and cherry notes on the sip developed into funky rum, cherry, and floral flavors on the swallow.
No comments:
Post a Comment