1 1/2 oz Rye Whiskey (Rittenhouse)
1/2 oz Aperol
1/2 oz Green Chartreuse
1/2 oz Curaçao (Pierre Ferrand)
Stir with ice, strain into a coupe glass, and garnish with a lemon twist.

Two Mondays ago, I began scanning the
Bartender's Choice Volume 3 app, and I spotted the Liquid Swords by Aisha Sharpe at the Ace Hotel in Manhattan circa 2009. The recipe that I most associate with Aisha is
The 212 from 2008 that found its way into the
PDT Cocktail Book, and she used to collaborate with Willy Shine (before his long tenure with Jägermeister) in their Contemporary Cocktails consultancy. Perhaps the drink was dubbed after the 1995 solo album from Wu-Tang Clan member GZA, and the name will always remind me of a listing on the Russell House Tavern dessert menu when I started in 2013 that was a mix of Old Monk Rum, Luxardo Espresso Liqueur, amaretto, and Amarula Cream Liqueur. The combination of Green Chartreuse and curaçao always makes me think of the
Knight from David Embury's
The Fine Art of Mixing Drinks and its appearance in more modern recipes like the
Prospector, and Green Chartreuse and Aperol were last seen here in the
Monk's Mystery with Montenegro instead of curaçao. Once prepared, the Liquid Swords swung at the nose with a lemon and orange aroma. Next, orange and red fruit on the sip opened up into rye and herbaceous flavors on the swallow with a citrus pith and orange finish.
No comments:
Post a Comment