Wednesday, February 22, 2023

a bouquet of parentheses

3/4 oz Tanqueray Gin (Beefeater)
3/4 oz Bols Barrel-Aged Genever
1/2 oz Dry Vermouth (Noilly Prat)
1/2 oz Yellow Chartreuse
1/2 oz Suze
1 dash Pernod (12 drop Pernod Absinthe)

Stir with ice, strain into an old fashioned glass with a large ice cube (coupe, no ice), and garnish with a lemon twist.
Two Wednesdays ago, I spotted another recipe on Kindred Cocktails that utilized the Yellow Chartreuse-Suze combination I recently enjoyed with the Revenge called A Bouquet of Parentheses. This recipe created by user Bartender Kyle circa 2012 made reference to a J.D. Salinger quote, "I privately say to you, old friend... please accept from me this unpretentious bouquet of early-blooming parentheses: (((())))." I felt more in the mood to drink something up, so I eschewed the rocks glass with ice for the coupe. Here, I was greeted with an unpretentious bouquet of lemon, malty, and herbal aromas. Next, malt and honey notes on the sip flowed into malty, herbal, and licorice notes on the swallow.

No comments: