Saturday, February 18, 2023

the listening room

1 1/2 oz Laird's Bonded Apple Brandy
1/2 oz Cardamaro
1/2 oz Punt e Mes
1/2 oz Amontillado Sherry (Lustau)
1/4 oz Apricot Liqueur (Rothman & Winter)

Stir with ice, strain into a cocktail coupe, and garnish with an orange twist-cherry flag.

Two Saturdays ago, I came across Ran Duan's Father's Advice, and I became inspired to riff on it. Instead of a tropical angle, I took it in an apple-apricot direction akin the Saucy Sue and Tulip. For a name, the apple component reminded me of the art work of Rene Magritte, but since Matt Schrage had already used the name Son of Man, I went with the Listening Room.
The Listening Room opened up with an apple, orange, herbal, cherry, and grape bouquet. Next, a grape-driven sip from the trio of wine-based ingredients progressed into apple, herbal, and lightly bitter apricot flavors on the swallow.

No comments: