Tuesday, February 21, 2023

clandestino old fashioned

1 1/2 oz Old Weller Antique 107° Bourbon (Evan Williams Bonded)
1/2 oz Rittenhouse Rye
1 tsp Campari
1 tsp Cinnamon Syrup
1 tsp Vanilla Syrup
1 dash Fee's Whiskey Barrel-Aged Bitters

Stir with ice, strain into an old fashioned glass with a large ice cube, and garnish with an orange twist.
Two Tuesdays ago, I was searching the Kindred Cocktails database when I came across the Clandestino Old Fashioned created by Jason Littrell at the original Death & Co. in Manhattan. Jason crafted this sometime during his tenure there from late 2009 to early 2012, and it was published in a Tasting Table article. Since I enjoyed his North Garden Old Fashioned variation, I was excited to give this one a go. In the glass, it conjured up orange and cinnamon aromas. Next, a hint of caramel and orange notes on the sip gave way to whiskey, cinnamon, vanilla, and bitter orange flavors on the swallow with a cinnamon finish. My cinnamon syrup was a bit robust so it dominated the other modifiers here, so I wished that I had toned down that element.

No comments: