Wednesday, February 15, 2023

abcdef

1 1/2 oz Beefeater Gin
3/4 oz Dolin Dry Vermouth (Noilly Prat)
1/2 oz Encanto Pisco (1/4 oz Encanto + 1/4 oz Macchu Pisco) (*)
1/2 oz Aperol
1/4 oz Campari

Stir with ice and strain into a coupe glass pre-rinsed with Fernet Branca.
(*) It was the last of my Encanto which has been discontinued.
Two Wednesdays ago, I decided to make a recipe that reminded me of Eeyore's Requium called the ABCDEF. The cocktail was created by Jeff Bell at PDT circa 2010 and published in Gaz Reagan's 101 Best Cocktails of 2014 along side my Chutes & Ladders recipe. I was reminded of this drink when I spotted it on Kindred Cocktails, and I figured that it was a good way to say goodbye to my lingering bottle of Encanto Pisco which had been discontinued a few years ago. While my substitution of Noilly Prat for Dolin still contained a 'D' for dry vermouth, without Encanto, it would be hard to get it symbolically correct. Regardless, in the glass, the drink spoke to the nose with menthol and gentian aromas. Next, white grape and orange notes on the sip progressed into gin and bitter orange on the swallow with a lingering bitter finish. While the recipe seemed like it would be softer than Eeyore's Requium, the lower sugar content made the balance seem more bitter on the finish.

No comments: