Tuesday, February 7, 2023

suffragette

2 oz Gin (Beefeater)
3/4 oz Dry Vermouth (Noilly Prat)
1/4 oz Benedictine
1/4 oz Cynar

Stir with ice, strain into a cocktail coupe, and garnish with a lemon twist.
Two Tuesdays ago, I was scanning the Kindred Cocktails database when I came across the Suffragette by New York City bartender Rafa Garcia Febles circa 2015. The recipe reminded me of one of my favorite Martini variations, the Poet's Dream. Here, it had Cynar instead of orange bitters, and the combination of Cynar and Benedictine has prospered in drinks like the Filthy Rich and 100 Year Old Cigar; moreover, I have used the duo in recipes such as the Death on the Installment Plan and Chachita. In the glass, the Suffragette gave forth lemon, pine, and mint aromas. Next, a semi-dry caramel-tinged sip voted in a gin and herbal swallow with some darker notes. Overall, the combination reminded me of a darker Puritan.

No comments: