Tuesday, February 28, 2023

bumble-bee cocktail

2 oz Medium Dark Rum (Appleton Signature)
2 tsp or so Lime Juice (1/2 oz)
1 1/2 - 2 tsp Honey (1/2 oz Honey Syrup)
2 tsp Egg White (1 Egg White)

Shake one round without ice and one round with ice, strain into a cocktail glass, and garnish with 3-4 drop Angostura Bitters.
Two Tuesdays ago, I spotted a reference for the Bumble-Bee, so I pulled out one of my copies of Charles H. Baker Jr.'s South American Gentleman's Companion. Baker was served this drink in Georgetown, Guyana, and the egg white in this rum Bee's Knees variation reminded me of the Honey Bee at Yvonne's (the regular Honey Bee is served without) and of course my cachaça-pisco riff at Drink called the South American Honey Bee. In the glass, the Bumble-Bee donated an orange, allspice, and cinnamon aroma to the nose. Next, a creamy honey, caramel, and lime medley on the sip buzzed into rum and lime flavors on the swallow.

No comments: