Thursday, February 16, 2023

king kong

3/4 Booth's Dry Gin (1 1/2 oz Beefeater)
1/8 Benedictine (1/2 oz)
1/8 Noyaux (1/2 oz Tempus Fugit)
1 dash Lemon Juice (1/2 oz)

Shake with ice, strain into a cocktail glass, and garnish with a cherry (omit) and orange twist.
In early December, Al Sotack, bartender and co-owner of Jupiter Disco, wrote me to see if I could track down the King Kong recipe that was not the Sam Ross one from Attaboy but the gin Sour one with crème de noyaux. Since the movie came out in 1933, that limited things down to a handful of books that came out in the few years after that. I soon found it in the 1934 1700 Drinks for the Man Behind the Bar and sent him that page. Curiousity got the hold of me one night when I spotted the dusty bottle of noyaux on my top shelf and I made the drink, but I soon agreed not to write it up until Al's article on it got published. When I made the drink, it donated an orange and fruity-nutty bouquet to the nose. Next, lemon with caramel notes on the sip climbed to gin and marzipan-herbal flavors on the swallow.

No comments: