Wednesday, February 1, 2023

body shop

1 oz Fernet Branca
1 oz Campari
1/2 oz Honey-Ginger Syrup (*)
1/2 oz Lemon Juice

Shake with ice, strain into a rocks glass with fresh ice, and float 1/8 oz Laphroaig Scotch.
(*) I made this by muddling 2 small coins of ginger in 1:1 honey syrup.
On my second bar shift in Oaxaca, we had a trio of local bartenders sit at our bar who had attended our masterclasses two days prior. When one of the bartenders indicated that they preferred more bitter drinks, I began getting creative given the limited liqueur and syrup bottles. For one of the drinks, I ended up making a ginger for passion fruit riff on the Clown Car (using lime juice since we lacked lemon) that reminded me of a Ferrari crossed with a Penicillin. A few days after returning home, I recreated this flavor profile using the lemon juice that I lacked and ended up floating a smoky Scotch on top as an accent. Since the two drinks that it reminded me of were named after a car and a fix-it, I dubbed this the Body Shop. Here, it gave forth smoke, ginger, and menthol aromas to the nose. Next, the Body Shop presented lemon, honey, and caramel notes on the sip that were transformed into orange, menthol, and ginger flavors on the swallow.

No comments: