Monday, February 27, 2023

the cutter

1 1/4 oz St. George B&E American Whiskey (Old Overholt 86°)
3/4 oz Campari
1/2 oz Amaro Ciociaro
3/4 oz Lemon Juice
1/4 oz Cane Syrup 2:1 (Sirop JM)

Shake with ice and strain into a coupe.
Two Mondays ago, I was in search of a lemon juice drink to use up more of the lemons that I had peeled for garnishes, and I uncovered the Cutter on Punch Drink. The recipe was crafted by Alec Bales of the Ticonderoga Club in Atlanta as a riff on the Paper Plane. Since the combination of Campari and Amer Picon (or similar liqueurs like China China and Ciociaro) worked well in the Poison Arrow, I was game to try this one out. The Cutter began with an orange and lemon bouquet. Next, caramel, lemon, and orange notes on the sip sailed into whiskey and a rounder bitter orange than I expected from Campari in the mix on the swallow.

No comments: