Tuesday, February 14, 2023

level up

1 oz Laird's Bonded Apple Brandy (*)
1 oz Islay Scotch (Laphroaig 10 Year) (*)
3/4 oz Sweet Vermouth (Cocchi)
1/4 oz Nocino (Russo)
1/4 oz Cynar
2 dash Chocolate Bitters (Angostura Cocoa)

Stir with ice, strain into a coupe, and garnish with an orange twist.
(*) With a more aggressive Scotch such as Laphroaig, perhaps shifting the ratio to 1 1/2 oz apple brandy to 1/2 oz Scotch would keep the spirits in better harmony.
Two Tuesdays ago, I spied an interesting looking recipe on Kindred Cocktails called the Level Up. St. Paul cocktail enthusiast Craig Eliason created this for Reddit's walnut and cocoa competition for February 2023, and it was the walnut and Cynar combination that lured me in. That duo has been notable since I first had it in Sam Gabrielli's My Triumphs, My Mistakes at Russell House Tavern, and I soon after utilized it the Shadows and Tall Trees after I joined that program. Once assembled, the Level Up showcased an orange oil, apple, and peat smoke aroma. Next, a grape-driven sip rose to smoky whisky, apple, walnut, and herbal flavors on the swallow. When Craig asked my thoughts about the drink on my Instagram, I commented how the Laphroaig took over the apple brandy, and he agreed that the ratio of the two spirits needed to be adjusted by Scotch choice (see my recipe note above).

No comments: